The difference between 1990 and 2012
Following along with the previous post, I wanted to point out how things progressed during the Lurie-Haas era, and compare that to the Magowan/Neukom/Baer-vs.-Wolff era.
- In anticipation of a stadium referendum in Santa Clara County, Bob Lurie asks Wally Haas Jr. for consent to claim Santa Clara County.
- Haas approves. Santa Clara County, which had not until that point belonged to either team, becomes part of the Giants’ domain.
- 1990 – Santa Clara County measure goes down to defeat.
- 1992 – San Jose votes down another utility tax plan to fund its own ballpark.
At no point did the Commissioner or League Presidents have to intervene or rule on behalf of either team.
- The Giants have SF, San Mateo, Marin, Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Santa Clara Counties as their defined territory. The A’s have Alameda and Contra Costa Counties.
- 2009 – After striking out in Fremont, Wolff looks to San Jose. Giants object. Commissioner Selig convenes three-man panel to study issue. A’s are not allowed to make an official stadium deal (including referendum) with San Jose until T-rights issue is resolved.
- …wait through rest of 2009…
- …wait through 2010…
- …wait through 2011…
- Giants astroturf group Stand for San Jose sues City of San Jose over preliminary land deal terms for ballpark.
- 2012 – Commissioner Selig claims that issue is now on “front burner”.