City of Oakland baseball announcement today

KQED’s Nina Thorsen passed this along to me earlier this morning:

NOON CITY OF OAKLAND TO MAKE ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL. OAKLAND MAYOR JEAN QUAN, CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS AND ASSISTANT CITY ADMINISTRATOR FRED BLACKWELL EXPECTED TO ATTEND.

HEARING ROOM 4, SECOND FLOOR, OAKLAND CITY HALL, FRANK OGAWA PLAZA, OAKLAND

CONTACT: SUE PIPER (510) 238-7439 OR (510) 499-8933 CELLPHONE

Could it be the elusive EIR? An announcement in conjunction with MLB? To find out, I’ll be spending my lunch hour in Oakland.

Update 7:58 AM – The Trib has more on what appears to be a ditching of Victory Court for an alternative:

Quan is expected to discuss a plan for a redesigned Oakland Coliseum complex — Coliseum City — that could provide new homes for both the A’s and Golden State Warriors.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported Friday that the Warriors have held discussions with San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and Giants CEO Larry Baer about building a new arena near AT&T Park. The Warriors also met with recently Quan about building a new arena at the current Coliseum, according to the Chronicle report.

Yikes. Coliseum City? What about the poor Raiders?

Update 11:54 AM – Running late thanks to a BART delay. Mobile apps not working the way I want. Unhappy Friday so far.

86 Responses to City of Oakland baseball announcement today

Maybe Oakland should just acknowledge its days as a host of major pro sports is coming to an end and it needs to come up with a serious development plan for the Coliseum complex. Instead of trying to throw Hail Mary passes to keep one or two of the teams.

2. Rayburn's Son says:

Are there any cities in North America that have lost 4 major sports teams in its history? In Oakland’s case, if this slippery slope continues, it would be in no particular order, The California Golden Seals, The A’s, The Raiders, and The Warriors.

3. Dan says:

There have been if you want to get technical. New York has lost the Giants, Jets, Nets, Giants, and Dodgers. But of course two practically still play in NY and one is coming back next year. And St. Louis has lost two NBA teams, the Browns, and the Cardinals (and possibly the Rams in a few years). However I can’t think of a city that lost 3 in under 5 years like Oakland is poised to do. And unlike those two cities I mentioned above, they won’t be getting replacements.

4. Nam Turk says:

Let’s not forget the Stompers…

5. Rayburn's Son says:

I forgot the Oakland Invaders, but I did say MAJOR sports teams….

6. Dan says:

We may have jumped the gun on the Raiders. Looks like her pipe dream might be including them as well. So not only would she have to find ways to fund a ballpark, but also the arena, and potentially an NFL venue as well…

7. Nicosan says:

@Dan what do you mean about the Raiders, are reports coming in that the she is going to propose an NFL stadium as well on the complex?

8. Dan says:

She made some comments that didn’t make the original news reports that she’s going to announce plans for new homes for all the teams that currently call the Coliseum home. So that should logically include the Raiders.

9. Sid says:

I do not see the A’s anywhere near this.

This has to be about the Warriors and Raiders.

I am stunned the Raiders have not jumped in with the 49ers already in Santa Clara. SC is light years ahead in financing and putting a shovel in the ground.

Oakland is 8-10 years away from a new football stadium. They do not have the $$ to pay for the Warriors and Raiders much less the A’s to stay.

They have to pick their poison……I say go with the Warriors. Arena’s are cheaper and have better mixed use. Let the A’s and Raiders go to the South Bay where private money can build them facilities.

Put their eggs in the “Warriors basket” since the Bay Area only has 1 NBA team.

I’ll bet it’s another joint A’s-Raiders stadium. That’ll work.

11. Sid says:

For the Raiders, if “Coliseum city” can become a reality they should move to SC on a 5-10 year lease with options to leave if they can get their own stadium.

Then if Oakland comes through….They can move back and 49ers nor the NFL will care.

12. Chris says:

I wonder what will happen to the Coliseum site after the A’s, Raiders and Warriors are all gone. That land will be valuable.

13. Dan says:

I’d focus on the Warriors as well. Still I wouldn’t hold out hope. While an arena in SF won’t be easy, the rewards would be huge. She claims SF can’t offer them a “Coliseum City” which is true. Rather SF can offer and ACTUAL city around their new arena. Faux city development not required. Same goes for the A’s.

14. Sid says:

@pjk-

I’ll bet it’s another joint A’s-Raiders stadium. That’ll work.

Bahahahah! That would be so funny, I would fall out of my chair.

New arena: $400 million. New baseball park: $500 million. New football stadium: $1 billion. Anybody think Oakland has $2 billion laying around for sports teams? Prediction: We’ll hear about “partnerships” with the three teams that would, of course, expect the teams to pay for all of the facilities while Oakland does nothing but provide the Coliseum parking lot. These teams will be asked to “work with the city of Oakland.” Translation: Pick up the tabs.

16. Dan says:

pjk, the joint Raiders/A’s stadium thing was the first thing that came to my mind as well. She offers them that I may shit my pants laughing. Still, part of me hopes that is what she offers. Then we can put this whole thing to bed and just say goodbye to Oakland now cleanly without a long drawn out “we still have a shot”

@Chris – The Coliseum will be a “parking lot with a mayor.”

On 95.7 this morning, they were talking about how a Frisco move would make the Warriors more attractive to free agents. Hard to deny.

19. Chris says:

@ Marine Layer – good one, I think that’s what the “Ghost Ride My Volvo” kids said about Fremont. I really wonder what Oakland will ultimately do with that site. It’s inevitable that it’ll sit empty but it’s still a good site for something (near 880/BART/Amtrak/Future Airport Connector/Oakland Airport.)

20. Dan says:

Anyone know if the presser will be available on line or on TV?

21. Dan says:

Here we go, mayor just walked in. Follow on Twitter at @KQEDNewsLive

Quan: we are sending a letter to Commissioner Selig to let him know Oakland wants the A’s and we have two viable sites.

22. developer says:

Ideas for alternate uses for Coliseum land:

- World’s largest swap meet
    - Medical cannabis plantation
    - Giant rehearsal studio complex for punk rock bands
    - Official Family Radio rapture launch pad
    - BART-themed museum and amusement park

23. LoneStranger says:

@developer: You watch KOFY Creepy Movie too?

24. xootsuit says:

Whoa, baby. Oakland’s sending a letter to Bud Selig. That’ll save the day.

25. gojohn10 says:

My friend is on that show. I should probably watch it?

26. Dan says:

So far nothing of interest. They have two sites VC and Coliseum (which everyone knew). No word yet on the EIR for VC, no word on funding.

27. LoneStranger says:

@gojohn10: That’s my “it’s 11:00pm and there is nothing else on TV” go to.

28. gojohn10 says:

Now I feel like a schmuck. I’ll have to check it out. My buddy is the professor dude. We go to A’s games together sometimes.

29. Dan says:

Presser over, on to Q and A. Nothing about the EIR, nothing about financing, nothing solid about the plan at either site. They did take the time to attack San Jose and to claim they could build it by 2016 (while ignoring the fact SJ can build it by 2015). So far zippo.

30. LoneStranger says:

The professor is funny. Stays fairly “normal” most of the time until the end of the segment where there is usually the punchline of the entire joke.

31. gojohn10 says:

Bringing it full circle, the professor on KOFY Creepy Time Movie thinks the A’s need to move to SJ.

32. Dan says:

Ok now they talk financing. No general fund money to be used. And of course redevelopment money will be gone after the court rules next month. Which means it’ll be a private ballpark in Oakland too. Which means it’s not happening.

33. Dan says:

The question about the EIR was asked and I quote Blackwell, “havent moved forward aggressively with it for Victory Ct but think it would be fast after MLB okay.” In other words, they haven’t done jack with it. As we all suspected.

34. kevin says:

Pujols must be rethinking that deal right about now.

35. Mossback says:

Man, this changes everything. Finally Oakland has a mayor who…wants to screw the A’s while pretending not to. Quan just doesn’t want the empty Coli to become a permanent “Occupy Oakland” site.

36. Nina says:

The complete audio is up now…scroll down to mid-post where it says “4:25 update”.
    Also, KQED’s Cy Musiker talks with Ray Ratto at 5:30 PM on KQED 88.5, it’ll be posted to http://www.kqed.org/radio/programs/radionews/ shortly thereafter.